- During the past winter, Czechia fulfilled the EU target of saving at least 5% electricity during peak consumption periods, Jan Hamrník, spokesman for the Energy Regulatory Office told the ctk news agency on Monday. The total savings during the peak consumption hours from December till March were 6.5 percent.
- The 25th edition of the Khamoro festival of Romany culture gets underway in Prague on Sunday. The annual event, offering concerts, workshops, film screenings and seminars, will start with a theatre performance at the capital’s Výstaviště. Khamoro, named after the Romany word for sunshine, will run at venues around the city until June 3.
- The planned introduction of a legal, regulated cannabis market in Czechia may end up in the European Court of Justice, said national drug policy coordinator Jindrich Voboril. However, he said he believed this to be the best option, as prohibition has been proven not to work and only brings costs and risks.
- Less than a third of the population is satisfied with the way democracy is working in Czechia and only 18% of Czechs believe that politicians listen to the opinions of ordinary people, suggests a survey carried out by Ipsos agency. 31% of Czechs are satisfied with the functioning of democracy in the country, while 42% thought democracy wasn’t functioning well.
- Writer, translator and former diplomat, Michael Žantovský has announced that he will leave his post as head of the the Václav Havel Library on June 1. He has led the institution, which looks after the intellectual, literary and political legacy of playwright and former president Václav Havel, since September 2015.
Support Prague Morning.
We are proud to provide our readers from around the world with independent, and unbiased news for free.
Our dedicated team supports the local community, foreign residents and visitors through our website, social media and newsletter.
We appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay for our services but if you are able to, we ask you to support Prague Morning by making a contribution – no matter how small! .