Specializing in architecture, urbanism, and graphic design, Studio Xtopix created the final design for Mariánské náměstí. Until reconstruction commences, the square will temporarily be a pedestrian zone, furnished with Prague tables and chairs, art installations, and other attractions.
Traffic on the square will be minimized, except for paramedics, public transport, and local residents. It will not be possible to drive in front of the Municipal Library building. With the exception of Žatecká and Maiselova streets, all streets for cyclists will be two-way. There will be new stops in Žatecká and Platnéřská streets.
Fountain and trees
The new design of the square will provide a pedestrian zone which will have two maple trees. Public furniture, such as benches and tables will not be absent either. Nor will be water fountains which will provide refreshment even in the hottest of the summer days.
“Pedestrian areas are being expanded, including sidewalks. The square surroundings will naturally undergo a very much needed modernization as well. These include Platnářká street, which will have its sidewalks alongside the Klementinum widened in order to be used as extra exhibition space for the National Galery; the Kaprova square, on which new lines of trees will be planted; and the Franz Kafka square,” the official document says.
Mariánské náměstí was originally a settlement called Na Louži, with a Church of the Virgin Mary and courtyard from the mid-twelfth century. Despite the many changes in the surrounding area, the square continues to be named after the church to this day.
The Na Louži settlement was on a busy road leading from the Old Town Square market to the Vltava River. A major change occurred when the most dominant building in the area, the new Town Hall, was built between 1908 to 1911.