The QS Best Student Cities 2019 has placed both Prague and Brno among the most attractive cities in the world to pursue your studies, according to the students themselves.
The survey which was completed by approximately 87,000 students considered factors typically important to students and recent graduates such as; culture, affordability, nightlife, employment opportunities, diversity, ease of getting around, friendliness and so on.
The QS Top Universities article states that students specifically noted the „affordability of everything and the fantastic sights”, as well as the city’s “integration of culture and diversity.“ Not to mention the post-graduate opportunities. There are more and more multinational companies establishing headquarters in Prague every year, and coupled with the historically low unemployment rate graduates have great employment prospects in Prague.
Brno rises three places in this year’s index compared to 2018. Ranked 60th overall, the Czech Republic’s second-largest city also boasts the second-highest student ratio of all the cities in the ranking.
To be considered for inclusion, each city must have a population of over 250,000, and be home to at least two universities featured in the most recent QS World University Rankings®. For population metrics, the metropolitan area is used where possible. Current calculations suggest that 125 cities qualify for consideration.
Criteria considered include:
- Student Mix (student make-up of the city, both overall and from an international perspective)
- Desirability (reflects the overall desirability of each destination)
- Employer Activity (provides an indication of which cities are most highly sought-after as recruiting grounds among graduate employers)
- Affordability (recognizes the importance of affordability for most prospective students and their families)
- Student view (a student survey which collected over 50,000 responses worldwide)
Here are the top 10 best student cities, according to the QS survey:
- Munich, Germany
- Montreal, Canada
- Melbourne, Australia
- Berlin, Germany,
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Brno, Czech Republic
- Boston, U.S.
- Prague, Czech Republic
- London, U.K.
- New York, U.S.