The fourth and fifth cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were registered on Monday evening in the Czech Republic, a hospital spokesman told reporters.
A 53-year-old woman who returned from northern Italy was hospitalized in Usti nad Labem, he said.
The second one is a young Ecuadoran woman who was traveling with the American student has now tested positive after being retested.
On Sunday, Czech Health Minister Adam Vojtech reported that the first three coronavirus cases had been registered in the Czech Republic.
“A woman hospitalized today, whose tests confirmed coronavirus, was vacationing in northern Italy and was staying in the same hotel as a man from our city hospitalized the day before. She returned from a resort on Friday, she had high fever and chills. This woman is now in the infectious diseases department of our hospital,” the spokesman said.
The Czech Republic is taking several measures after reporting its first three cases.
Some universities kept students away while bus line operator RegioJet also planned to suspend its Prague-Venice-Rome and Prague-Milan international routes at the end of the week.
In Brno, Mendel University said it would shift to an online course regime and cancel lessons until March 15 due to worries about coronavirus contagion.