Ryanair Abolishes its Free Baggage Policy

Prague Morning

Prague Morning

Video & News

For the second time in a year, Ryanair, Europe’s largest low-cost carrier, is changing the way it charges for baggage.

Ryanair will no longer let passengers take a small suitcase on its planes for free, with charges for a 10kg case to be introduced in November. The airline overhauled its baggage policy as recently as January but said the current scheme, which allows people to hand in their smaller cases for loading in the hold for free at the boarding gate, was still causing delays.

There will be no luggage carried in the hold free of charge from November, with passengers having to pay £8 to check in a 10kg bag. The existing charge of £25 for putting luggage weighing up to 20kg in the hold will remain.

The maximum size of small bags allowed on board - such as handbags or laptop bags - will be increased by 40 per cent but they must still fit under the seat in front.

Passengers who pay for priority boarding - which costs £6 - will continue to be allowed to take a small suitcase as hand baggage.

Kenny Jacobs, Ryanair’s Chief Marketing Officer said: “60 per cent of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect that the other 40 per cent will either choose to buy Priority Boarding or a 10kg check bag or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30 per cent already do so today."

Author: red

Next

  • Share
  • Embedded