This celebrated street connects Náměstí Republiky and the Powder Tower with Old Town Square.

Celetná is one of the oldest streets in Prague. In the 14th century, it became a part of the Royal Route and the coronation parade would travel down Celetná.

Franz Kafka had connections to the street, having been a lawyer at Pachta Palace. The palace, at 36, is the former headquarters of the Prague Military Commandment starting in 1784 until 1849. Kafka lived from 1888 until 1889 with his family at the Sixt House at 2.

The building of the street is made up of historic houses, modeled under Romanesque and Gothic architecture foundations. Many have been remodeled under Baroque and Classical architecture styles. The House of the Black Madonna is also located on the street, a cubist building designed by Josef Gočár.

The name of the street is derived from bakeries who used to baked knitted buns on the street in the 13th century.

schermata-2017-05-12-alle-17-09-21