Bartolomějská Street connects streets Karoliny Světlé with Na Perštině Street.

The street name Bartolomějská has been in place since the middle of the 18th century and is derived from the Church of St. Bartholomew, which stood here between 1726 and 1731.

However, the street names before this changed based on the history of the time.

The original name of the street was Benátská and a well known public house of the same name resided there. The name of the public house was derived from Italian Venice because they believed the Vltava’s location to the street resembled its surroundings.

In 1372, Jan Milíč founded a school for preachers, and shelter for female doctors at the public house. The complex was called Nový Jeruzalém and its center was the chapel of Mary Magdalene. During this time the street was then named “V Jeruzalémě”.

In the second half of the 17th century, the Jesuits built the Konvikt on Bartolomějská, which served as a boarding house for sons of wealthy nobles. The street was called ‘Upper Konviktska’ during this time.