The Charles Bridge is lined with 30 statues, plus one statue standing aside on a pillar at Kampa Island. Most of the statues are from 1706 – 1714. They were created by important sculptors of the era but some of them were damaged by floods during the centuries and they were replaced by replicas. The originals can be seen in the Lapidary of the National Museum or in the Gorlice hall at Vyšehrad.

Schermata 2016-08-15 alle 11.17.31

The largest underground space at Vyšehrad was created as part of the 33rd bastion of the Baroque fortifications. The space was renovated and made accessible to the public in the 1990s as part of the tour of the casements: today it hosts six of the original statues from the Charles Bridge.

More information here

Schermata 2016-08-15 alle 11.20.46 Schermata 2016-08-15 alle 11.21.16

 

mm
Dave Patterson is a content marketer. A writer by day and a reader by night. Coffee addict.