88 Years Ago Today, the First Traffic Light Was Installed in Prague

Prague Morning

Prague Morning

Video & News

46 views

Some sources state that the very first traffic lights were first installed in Prague on the crossroads in the middle of Wenceslas Square between Vodičkova and Jindřišská Streets at the beginning of the 1930’s. Others, differ on the matter stating that the first traffic light facility was installed at the crossroads of Hybernská, Dlážděná and Havlíčkova streets by Masyrykovo Railway Station in 1927.

The first traffic lights with red and green light signals were installed on the crossroads in front of the London Parliament buildings in 1868. This innovation in road traffic came from the signalling system used for railways which had been in existence since 1841. 

The control of traffic on the busiest crossroads in Prague began on 2nd September 1919; in those days a policeman simply stood in the middle of the crossroads controlling traffic on Můstek and on the other four crossroads assisted with a cosh.

New traffic rules came into force on 1st January 1967, which implemented for the first time special traffic lights for pedestrians and directing light signals.

Author: red

Next

  • Share
  • Embedded